Tofu Parmesan with steamed broccoli in marinara. #whatveganseat
- 8oz block of very firm tofu, sliced and pressed (marinate if desired)
- 1 c. unsweetened/unflavoured almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or other flour of choice)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano*
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley*
- 1/4 tsp dried basil*
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
1. Slice extra firm tofu into 1/3-1/4 inch thick cutlets and press out the water. Marinate them if desired but make sure they’re not too wet.
2. Make your batter by whisking the milk, flour, vinegar, salt, pepper, and seasonings together in a medium sized bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 450F. Dip each piece into the batter and then into the breadcrumbs on each side. Place on a lined baking sheet.
4. Bake for 8-9 mins at 450F and then flip and bake for another 8-9 minutes watching closely at the end. You want them very crispy and golden! Top with heated pasta sauce and broccoli.
5. To reheat: Bake for 5 mins on each side at 450F. They do NOT reheat well in the microwave. Note that cutlets will get soft in the fridge so reheating in the oven is essential to crisp them up again.
adapted from the eggplant parmesan recipe at: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/11/08/eggplant-parmesan/